In Information

At first glance, Poison Hemlock and Queen Anne’s Lace may appear deceptively similar with their white, lacy blooms. However, the ability to distinguish these two plants is crucial – one is harmless, while the other can be deadly if ingested. Wilson’s Landscaping urges homeowners and nature enthusiasts to learn the key differences to avoid any unfortunate incidents.

If you are ever unsure about a plant’s identification, do not take any risks. Consult a professional landscaper or horticulturist for proper assessment. Our team at Wilson’s is well-versed in native and invasive flora and would be glad to assist in plant recognition.


Poisonous Traits of Hemlock


Poison Hemlock Flowers

Poison Hemlock (Conium maculatum) is considered highly toxic, earning its reputation as one of the most dangerous plants in North America. This biennial herb thrives in moist areas like ditches and field edges. Despite its delicate, umbrella-shaped white flower clusters, every part of the plant is poisonous if ingested.

Key identifiers include:

  • Smooth, hollow stems with distinctive purple blotches
  • Finely divided, fern-like leaves with an unpleasant musty odor
  • Tall stature, often over 6 feet at maturity
  • Rounded clusters of small white flowers

poison hemlock


The Harmless Queen Anne’s Lace

queens annes lace

In contrast, Queen Anne’s Lace (Daucus carota) is an edible plant from the carrot family. While it shares a similar white floral appearance, several traits help differentiate it:

  • Hairy, solid green stems without blotches
  • Flat-topped clusters of tiny white flowers
  • A distinctive single purple/red flower in the bloom’s center
  • Finely divided, hairy carrot-like leaves



Cross Comparison

For quick comparison, examine the stems – Queen Anne’s are hairy and green, while Poison Hemlock’s are smooth with purple blotching. The flower formations also differ; Queen Anne’s has a flat-topped cluster with a colored central bloom, whereas Hemlock’s is rounded without that trait.

Proficient Identification is Key

When enjoying nature, it’s crucial to conclusively identify any plant before consuming it. Errors can have severe, potentially fatal, consequences with toxic plants like Poison Hemlock. If there is any doubt, refrain from ingesting the plant and contact Wilson’s Landscaping for a professional evaluation. Our experts can confidently discern between these florals and many other native species.

Stay safe while appreciating the beauty of our local flora. Wilson’s prioritizes educated guidance to prevent accidents when distinguishing between benign and perilous plants in the wild.

Recent Posts